Featuring a rather simple design, the S1 is said to be completely waterproof to a depth of one meter (3.3 feet) for up to 30 minutes and resistant to pressure of up to 400 kgs. Durability aside, the S1 comes equipped with a 2Mega-Pixel waterproof camera with built-in flash, , torch light, built-in GPS system, FM radio, 2GB memory slot, J2ME Java for mobile, WAP browsing through its in-built Opera Mini WAP browser and Bluetooth.
"Like our vehicles this phone is extremely capable and will work in the toughest of environments," said Lindsay Weaver, Land Rover global licensing manager. "Designed to meet the needs and demands of the outdoor adventurer the phone has an IP-67 rating, which is a first for a commercially available GSM handset, and is operational in temperatures ranging from -20 to 55 degrees Celsius and backed by an unconditional three-year guarantee."
The Land Rover S1 by Sonim will be available for UK buyers from Go Mobile stores with pricing set at £299.99 or at today's exchange rates, $490 US or €355.
Land Rover S1 Specification
- Fully submersible to a depth of one metre
- Survives being dropped onto hard surfaces from up to two metres
- Extra-Loud speakers for use in extremely noisy environments
- Extra-long battery life with over 1500 hours of standby time and 18 hours of talk time
- Durable keyboard mechanics and extra-wide buttons for ease of use
- Keypad buttons tested to over 500,000 pushes
- Completely dust and micro-particle resistant – IP-67 Rated
- Resistant to road shocks and vibrations to over 2000 random vibrations in the 500Hz range
- Operational under temperatures from -20° to 55° C
- Resistant to extreme pressure up to 400kg
- Resistant to punctures at 75kg/cm2 of pressure.
- Three year unconditional guarantee