At long last and after more leaks than the proverbial bucket, Lexus came out with all the official details and pictures of its redesigned for the 2013 model year LS flagship sedan series, which was unveiled on Monday during a special happening in San Francisco.
While based on the fourth generation model that has been in production since 2006, the refreshed LS sedan gains a more dynamic exterior look along with a restyled interior and notable changes under the sheetmetal to fend off the German competition that comes in the form of the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
For the 2013MY, the LS line-up includes the LS 460, LS 460L (LWB), LS 600hL hybrid, and the first-ever LS 460 F Sport variant . The LS 460 and LS 460L are available in both RWD and AWD versions while the LS Hybrid is offered with a full-time AWD system.
The exterior makeover brings the LS in line with the latest Lexus models like the RX facelift and the new GS, providing the sedan with a crispier look up front thanks to the new spindle grille and the redesigned headlamps, bumper, hood and fender forms.
The profile remains the same but Lexus made changes to the rear end of the car that gains darkened tail lamps with a chrome strip divider, a re-sculptured boot and a new bumper design.
The F Sport edition gives the LS a more muscular appearance via a body kit with a different front bumper that accommodates chunkier side air vents, a front grille with a zig-zag mesh pattern, side skirts, a diffuser positioned between the tail pipes, a lowered suspension and unique 19-inch alloy wheels.
The interior revisions focus on the dashboard and the available features with the 2013 LS gaining more contemporary upper and lower center consoles and new switchgear and trims.
Sitting above the new analogic timepiece on the center console is a 12.3-inch, split-screen, high-resolution multi-media display for the infotainment and navigation systems, which Lexus says is "large enough to support simultaneous viewing of a large map display and other vehicle functions".
A next-generation Remote Touch allows the user to operate the climate, audio, phone controls, navigation system and more.
The F Sport model adds two-tone seats with larger bolsters, a leather-wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters and aluminum trim.
Under the bonnet, the 2013 LS continues with a choice of two powertrains. These include a tweaked 4.6-liter V8 (linked to an 8sp auto) that gains 6hp in the RWD models lifting output to 386hp 367lb-ft (497Nm), and an additional 3hp and 3 lb-ft in the AWD versions for a total of 360hp 347 lb-ft (470Nm).
The RWD LS 460 completes the 0-60mph (96km/h) sprint in 5.4 seconds (AWD in 5.9 sec), the quarter mile in 14 seconds (AWD in 14.3 sec) and has an electronically limited top speed of 130mph (210km/h). Lexus quotes an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 16mpg city, 24mpg highway and 19mpg combined (AWD: 16/23/18).
The LS600h L remains unchanged with the hybrid powertrain that links a 5.0-liter V8 petrol engine to a pair of electric motors delivering a combined system output of 438-horses. It can go from zero to 60mph (96km/h) in 5.5 seconds, reach a limited top speed of 130mph (210km/h) and return a fuel economy of 19mpg city, 23mpg highway and 30mpg combined.
Lexus says that all LS models benefit from increased body rigidity, the adoption of new frequency dependent shock absorbers, and revised steering and braking systems.
While the LS 460 F Sport does not feature any changes in the engine compartment, it gets a sport tuned air suspension that has been lowered by 0.4 inches (10mm), a Torsen limited slip rear differential (RWD model), Brembo six-piston caliper brakes, and 19-inch forged wheels with summer or all-season tires.
The Japanese carmaker claims that these upgrades help the F Sport model become "the most engaging LS ever".
Lexus said that additional information including prices and availability on all LS models will be announced in due time.
Photo Credits: Lexus
2013 Lexus LS Highlights [From The Press Release]
- Numerous stabilizing fins help the LS to be one of the most aerodynamically efficient cars in its segment with a coefficient drag of 0.26.
- Laser screw welding, body adhesives and other structural reinforcements increase rigidity and enhance stability, steering feel and handling.
- New standard Drive Mode Select allows the driver to choose from 3 distinct drive settings (Eco, Normal and Sport). Vehicles equipped with the available air suspension add Comfort and Sport S+ modes.
- The available Air Suspension with Variable Gear Ratio Steering automatically adjusts the damping force for optimal comfort and performance.
- The available AWD system features a central, permanently engaged, Torsen Limited Slip center Differential (LSD) to further enhance grip, traction and cornering stability.
- Noise-reduction wheels channel resonant noise from the main air chamber to adjacent hollow areas within the wheels via resonator holes, resulting in an incredibly quiet ride.
- The Advanced Pre-Collision Safety system (APCS) can detect stationary pedestrians and those moving at speeds of up to three miles per hour and stop the vehicle from a speed of 24 miles per hour if a collision with another vehicle is imminent.
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) constantly monitors the distance to vehicles ahead and is capable of operating at any speed. The system can bring the vehicle to a complete stop, and accelerate away once the road ahead is clear
- An upgraded, optional Lane-Keep Assist system (LKA) helps the driver stay in the intended lane.
- New to LS, the Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) uses rear millimeter-wave radar to monitor the vehicle rear side blind spots at 10 miles per hour or more. This feature includes Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) which automatically operates when the vehicle is in reverse, alerting drivers to the approach of other vehicles when backing out of a parking place.
- The Available Automatic High Beam system features a camera located in the inner mirror that detects light sources in front of the vehicle — including the headlamps of oncoming vehicles, the tail lamps of a vehicle ahead and street lighting - to automatically switch the high beams on and off accordingly.
- Enhancements have been made to the sound insulation for an even quieter cabin.
- Redesigned front seats minimize pressure peaks and increase support. Both front seats feature an improved standard heating and cooling system with larger heating and cooling areas and reduced heating and cooling times.
- All AWD models including the LS600hL feature a heated steering wheel and Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heating elements which warm the front cabin area quickly after vehicle start-up. Windshield de-icer and headlamp washers are standard on AWD models.
- The LS features a standard Lexus Premium Audio System with a nine channel amplifier, 10 speakers, CD / DVD player changer, DVD audio and video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging, and a three-month trial subscription to SiriusXM™ Satellite Radio. Standard entertainment and connectivity advancements include enhanced Bluetooth® capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
- The optional Mark Levinson Reference Surround System provides a 5.1 home theatre surround with 7.1 architecture , discrete circuitry, 15 channel, ML3-16 Processor Power Amplifier covering a frequency range of 20Hz-20kHz, and 450 watts with less than 0.1% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
- Available Power rear seats with Climate Concierge.
- An available Ottoman Seating Package with Shiatsu Massage and a Rear Seat Entertainment System featuring a Blu-ray DVD player, an SD card slot and a retractable, ceiling mounted, nine-inch full-color VGA screen.
- The inverted trapezoidal upper grille and slanted lower grille that were first introduced on the GS sedan have been combined and integrated into a single element on the LS to create a more prominent spindle shape.
- When equipped with the optional three projector LED headlamp unit, the LS offers all LED exterior lighting, including turn signals an fog lamps
- LS 460 F SPORT features a unique front fascia with an enhanced three-dimensional mesh grille, larger cooling openings, black grille surround, and round fog lamps. A chrome-plated bar running along the bottom edge of the rear bumper accentuates the lowered center of gravity. F SPORT exterior badging completes the look.
- LS F SPORT offers six exterior colors; Ultra White is exclusive to F SPORT.
- The dashboard is divided into two distinct zones: an upper Display Zone, with the large, 12.3-inch, LCD multi-display screen, and a lower Operation Zone, which allows access to system controls such as the second generation Remote Touch Interface (RTI).
- The driver’s instrument meter cluster incorporates high-visibility, large diameter Optitron dials; a 5.8-inch Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Multi-information screen; and an aluminum analog clock with a GPS-based time correction function.
- The interior is offered in 5 color schemes: Ivory, Light Gray, Black, Black and Saddle Tan, and a newly available Topaz Brown.
- Optional wood includes Walnut, Shimamoku Espresso, Matte Brown Bird’s Eye Maple. The LS 600h L also offers an eco- friendly Bamboo wood trim.
- The new, Shimamoku finish is an example of the finest traditional Japanese craftsmanship. Shimamoku, translated as “striped wood,” involves the painstaking layering of angle-cut dark and light shaded wood veneers in a unique process which involves 67 manufacturing steps over the course of 38 days.
- The LS 460 F SPORT features aluminum ornamentation and a unique interior, featuring a black Alcantara headliner.