Rolls Royce confirmed on Tuesday that it will enhance its range with a second convertible model, the Wraith Drophead Coupe, which will go on sale by mid-2016.
About a year ago, Rolls Royce boss Müller-Ötvös acknowledged that the company had given the green light for the development of a convertible version of their new Wraith Coupe, and now, we have the first spy pictures of the car that will most likely borrow the bigger Phantom's Drophead Coupé nomenclature.
After updating the Phantom range last year and adding a new and comparatively sportier coupe, the Wraith, just last month, Rolls-Royce engineers and designers have turned their attention to the brand's third and most affordable model, the Ghost, which is offered in regular and long-wheelbase flavors.
If you know Rolls-Royce, then you shouldn't be surprised to learn that the first facelift for the Ghost won't bring any earthshaking updates.
Less than 24 hours after we composed a single image from Rolls Royce's teaser website, the English brand came out with a high-resolution version of the darkened photo that reveals the new Wraith coupe's profile, which we digitally enhanced to give you a better look at the car.
Meanwhile, our own spy photographers dropped a new set of images of a Wraith prototype undergoing winter tests in our email box as well.
Just last week, Rolls-Royce released the name of its all-new Ghost-based coupe model, the Wraith, adding that it will make its global premiere at the 2013 Geneva Motor Show in early March.
Britain's most famous carmaker also told us that in the weeks leading up to the show, it plans to "reveal additional information and a series of teaser images", which it did, beginning today with a smoke screen-style teaser on its public website where users can move their mouse to divulge bits and pieces of the car.
We understand that can be annoying, so we patched up all those pictures to create the single image you see here, and which provides us with the best look yet at the brand's new performance coupe.
We already knew that the upcoming Rolls-Royce Ghost-based coupe, which we've seen plenty of times testing out in the open, would be the fastest, most powerful and sportiest production model in the British luxury company's 107-year-long history.
Now, we have a name for that car as Rolls-Royce today confirmed it as the all-new Wraith adding that its world premiere will occur at the Geneva Motor Show on March 5, 2013, with first deliveries to customers expected in the fourth quarter of this year.
Like many other European luxury carmakers, Rolls Royce is also looking outside its home market to increase sales, with the British firm's CEO Torsten Mueller-Oetvoes revealing plans to expand the number of dealers from 105 today to 120 in countries including Chile, Thailand and Vietnam, during an interview with Bloomberg News.
Thanks to CarScoop reader and Nürburgring dweller Timo S., we now have the first ever action footage of Rolls Royce's upcoming Ghost-based coupe, the production name of which, remains a tightly guarded secret for now.
The spy video affords us a look at how Goodwood's new Flying Lady tackles the corners and straights of the Nürburgring Nordschleife track at speeds and angles you don't normally see a Rolls Royce model.
The Nürburgring track is one of the last places you would expect to see a Rolls Royce, but if the rumors turn out to be true, the new Ghost-based Coupe may feel at home even here.
You see, the new two-door model, the name of which remains a mystery for now, is said to be the sportiest, fastest and best handling model ever to wear the "Spirit of Ecstasy" ornament on its hood.
While utilizing the platform and mechanical hardware of the Ghost sedan, itself related to the BMW 7-Series, the new Coupe will benefit from a shorter chassis with several upgrades including sportier suspension, brake and steering systems as well as a tuned version of the saloon's 6.6-liter twin turbo V12 engine believed to produce 600-horses or more.
The Ghost Coupe that our spies recently captured testing in Germany will be much more than a two-door version of the premium brand's entry-level model as company sources claim it will also be the fastest production model to ever wear a Rolls Royce badge.
The news comes via a report from Autocar magazine, which says that the Ghost Coupe is being developed as a response to the newest, high-powered models from Bentley and to a lesser extent, Aston Martin.
The expansion of the Rolls Royce range with the lower-priced and smaller-sized Ghost sedan in 2010 was only the beginning for the Goodwood-based luxury carmaker.
In about a year's time, possibly at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show, Rolls Royce will present the first offshoot of the Ghost family in the form a new coupe model, rumored to revive the Corniche nameplate.
Carscoop's photographers caught a heavily disguised prototype of the Ghost coupe model running on the streets of Munich, Germany.
The Bavarian group's technicians tried to fool us that the car had regular front doors and smaller, suicide-style rear doors, but look closely at the spy pictures and it becomes clear that they are fake and that the car will be equipped with two suicide front doors, just like the larger Phantom Coupe.
Further proof that Rolls-Royce is getting ready to revamp its entire Phantom lineup comes from our scoopsters in Europe who captured a very lightly camouflaged prototype of the Coupé model undergoing winter testing.
This will be the first facelift for the Phantom Coupé that was presented five years after the sedan version of Rolls-Royce's flagship line in 2008.
Admittedly and regardless if it fits your taste or not, the BMW Group has done a superb in renovating the Rolls Royce brand, which delivered 3,538 cars in 2011, up 31 per cent on the previous year’s 2,711 units, and a new sales record in the firm's 107-year history surpassing the 3,347 cars it sold in 1978.
The rebirth of the Rolls Royce under the control of the Bavarian firm started with the extravagant Phantom that was introduced in 2003. Even though nine years is a long time in a vehicle's product cycle, the BMW Group doesn't intend to replace the Phantom just yet.