“Steer it like a car and it reacts like a motorcycle”. That’s what the Carver One is all about. We’ve been hearing and seeing a bunch of things about the tilting 3wheeler over the past few years, but until now, it was being hand-built for a… handful of customers. Well, time has come for the Carver One to prove itself in the real world as the Dutch company announced that it would present the final production version of its tilting 3wheeler car at this year’s Geneva Show.
Equipped with a 0,67-liter, 4cylinder turbocharged engine the 68Hp strong Carver One hits the first 100km/h (62mph) from standstill in 8,2 sec while reaching a top speed of 185 km/h (115mph). While there’s no word pout on the prices, Carver announced that it will produce about 500 units this year with sales starting in Europe the second quarter of 2007.–Continued: Click “Read More..” below to see the rest of the article and a full press pack
And before we let you go and check the press pack after the jump, let us note that the Carver One should not be confused in any way with BMW’s tilting 3wheeler concept, the C.L.E.V.E.R. which was developed by BMW in conjunction with several partners like the Technical University of Berlin. You can read about that here: BMW C.L.E.V.E.R.
PRESS RELEASE: CARVER ONE -The 77th edition of the Geneva Motor Show will feature the world premiere of the production model of the Carver One. Carver Europe, together with Carver Switzerland will kick off this year’s edition with a press conference on 7 March. Members of the press are invited to join us at our stand. From 8 to 18 March all Carver enthusiasts are welcome on our stand in Hall 3 (3112).
Steer it like a car…
… and it banks like a motorcycle. The Carver One feels just as much at ease carving corners, conquering roundabouts and beating traffic jams, as it does on curvy country roads or endless straights, far away from the world and its worries.Its sporty engine gives it just the right power in proportion to its weight, reaching a top speed of 185 km/h (115 mph) while its average fuel consumption remains at a very modest 6 L/100 km (40 UK mpg). But speed on the straights isn’t everything… Go for the corners, that’s where the Carver One pulls out all the stops!
It banks from left to right in just a second. This unrivalled agility lets you cope with any emergency situation, avoid obstacles, and makes for sheer exhilarating fun. And what fun it is: virtually unrestricted manoeuvrability, surfing through traffic, snowboarding roundabouts and pivoting corners. It is like riding your own roller coaster designed as you carve along. It is like flying a glider at ground level. It is like playing the lead in your own version of Top Gun. It is all this and much, much more. When you fly a Carver One the journey becomes the destination.
It will come as no surprise: developed by aeronautical engineers, form follows function in every aspect of its design. A timeless, distinctive masterpiece with razor-sharp lines, not only for its astonishing looks but also for perfect aerodynamics.
The superb jetfighter-like cockpit comes in any manufacturer colour or custom colour of your choice, hiding the integral welded steel chassis providing safety for you and your passenger. The front window seamlessly merges with the body-coloured roof panel that can be easily detached to enjoy a panoramic view from all angles.
Its sporty 15” alloy rear wheels with large tyres keep the Carver One firmly glued to the road in the corners and on the straights. The uniquely designed front wheel attachment provides the 17” wheel with exceptional road handling and superb manoeuvrability. Two seamlessly integrated louvered air intakes on either side of the cockpit feed the engine extra cooling air and add a zest of futuristic elegance.
… and an interior to match
Sporty, yet stylish, the Carver One fits you like a glove. The intoxicating smell of its luxuriously soft leather interior invigorates you as you enter the sanctuary of your cockpit. Your fingers explore the contours of the driver’s seat, the sports leather-covered steering wheel, the dashboard curves … prelude to the curves of the road that will soon unfold. Your hand rests on the aluminium gear lever knob, your eyes wander over the ergonomically laid out dashboard until they focus on the tilt angle indicators, anticipating excitement… This is as close as you may ever get to flying. Are you ready for take-off?
A masterpiece of engineering
Carver engineers may not be the only ones to have tried to overcome the problem of a narrow vehicle cornering without tipping over, but they are the first and only ones to have pulled it off successfully. The combination of state-of-the-art components and innovative but proven technology has resulted in a reliable, predictable and above all extremely responsive system, nothing short of a revolution in automotive history!
At the heart of the Carver One lies the Dynamic Vehicle Control (DVC™) system which automatically adjusts the tilt angle of the cockpit to the speed and acceleration of the vehicle, enabling a plane-like ‘tilting before cornering’.
A uniquely designed steering torque actuator coupled to an ingenious DVC™ manifold driving two double piston cylinders form the essence of this mechanical-hydraulic system while an additional separate hydraulic system provides for a fail-safe emergency backup solution.Power assisted front wheel steering and active rear wheel steering make for unparallelled stability when cornering. The DVC™ control unit electronically moderates the cockpit response at low speeds for comfortable road handling under all circumstances.
To top it off, the DVC™ mode selector, a sophisticated piece of programming, allows you to select a driving mode according to your mood and road circumstances. In comfort mode, weaving your way through busy city-traffic and parking is easy thanks to enhanced power steering while the sport mode lets you unleash the rebel once you get the knack of carving.
‘Steer it like a car and it banks like a motorcycle’. It sounds deceivingly simple. And it truly is. All you have to do is steer in the desired direction. With the Carver One, banking in corners becomes second nature, or rather, first nature regained.
- Top speed 185 km/h (115 mph)
- Acceleration 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 8.2 s
- Max. tilt angle 45°
- Max. tilt speed 85°/s
- Turning circle (curb to curb) 9.5 m
- Fuel consumption (estimated average) 6 L/100km (1:16 – 45 UK mpg – 40 US mpg)
- Cylinders / valves 4 cylinder 16 valve turbo intercooler
- Displacement 659 cc
- Cooling water-cooled
- Max. power 50 kW (68 bhp) at 6,000 rpm
- Max. torque 100 Nm (74 lb.ft) at 3,200 rpm
- Transmission 5-speed manual & reverse
- Fuel lead-free EURO
- Emission system catalytic converter with oxygen sensor
- Electrical system 14 V / 32 A alternator, Volts 12 V / 30 Ah battery
- Ignition ECU multipoint injection with knock sensor –
- firing order 1-3-4-2
- CO2 emissions 136 g/km
Wheels, tyres, suspension and brakes
- Wheels double 5-spoke alloy
- front 17”
- rear 15”
- front 140 / 70
- rear 195 / 45
- Brakes discs on all wheels
- Front suspension single-arm with hydraulic shock absorption
- Rear suspension McPherson suspension with rear-wheel steering
- Length 3.40 m
- Height 1.40 m
- Width (tilt angle ≤ 25°) 1.30 m
- Width (max. tilt angle) 1.60 m
- Wheel base 2.70 m
- Fuel tank capacity 34 L
- Unladen mass 643 kg (1,418 lb)
The table above details the European specification Carver One, which may differ from Carver One models made available outside Europe. For example, for the North American market the Carver One will be equipped with a different engine. Please note that non-North American vehicles are not certified for use in North America.
The list below gives you an overview of our standard package and currently available accessories and options. Contact your local dealer if you need more information or if you want to discuss any additional options. Special options are available upon request.
- Removable hard top roof in body colour
- Alloy wheels – double 5-spoke – front 17″ / rear 15″ (silver)
- Sports interior (black fabric trim)
- 3-spoke sports leather-covered steering wheel
- Design aluminium dashboard and gear lever knob
- 4 instruments: speedometer and mileometer (odometer), rev counter, fuel gauge, engine temperature
- Built-in class III remote control alarm system incl. remote control power door lock
- Dashboard ‘carving’ LED indicators (continuous indication of the vehicle’s tilt angle) with audible signal
- Heating / ventilation / windshield defroster
- Electric windows
- Front and rear seat belts
- Ashtray / drink holder / 12 V socket
- Tyre repair kit
- Black carpet with Carver logo
- Side mirrors and back of driver’s seat: black
- Exterior colour – basic palette (white, yellow, blue)
- Factory-fitted options
- Premium quality full leather (mono-colour or bi-colour) or leather/alcantara interior upholstery
- Exterior metallic paint (standard palette)
- Special exterior colours (solid black, stealth black (matte black), pearl, or any manufacturer colour or custom colour of choice)
- Rear spoiler
- High power wheel pack (alloy – dark silver)
- Shadow wheel pack (alloy – matte black)
- Black package (matte black rear frame, tilt cylinders and front suspension)
- Turbo pressure dashboard gauge
- Radio/CD/MP3 player type A, B or C (Kenwood) with 4 front speakers (Kenwood)
- GPS navigation with Bluetooth™ mobile phone hands-free kit (Tom Tom Go 910)
- DVC™ mode selector (comfort/sport)
- Rear spoiler
- Roll-up soft top (black)
- High power wheel pack (alloy – dark silver) excluding tyres
- Shadow wheel pack (alloy – matte black) excluding tyres
- GPS navigation with Bluetooth™ mobile phone hands-free kit (Tom Tom Go 910)
- Aluminium luggage rack with luggage bag (waterproof fabric, black)
- Engine ECU tuning to 85 bhp
- Battery charger
Service & warranty
The Carver One is sold and serviced worldwide through a network of specialised distributors and dealers. The recommended service interval is 10,000 km (6,200 miles) or once every year, whichever is sooner. Servicing and maintenance is taken care of by your local distributor. Contact your dealer for more information. In the absence of a distributor in your country, servicing and maintenance can be arranged through Carver Headquarters. In Europe, the Carver One is covered by a 2-year factory warranty.
Due to tax differences and transportation costs prices differ from one country to another. For country-specific pricing information go to ‘Our dealers’ and select the region and country of choice.
The Carver One has been granted full European type approval and various initiatives to obtain certification outside Europe have been launched. In Europe, a car driver’s licence is required to drive a Carver One. In the USA most states require either a car licence or a motorcycle licence. Please note that non North-American vehicles are not certified for use in North America. For tax purposes the Carver One is registered as a motorcycle in most countries.
Belgium & Luxemburg Carver Belux
France Carver France
Germany Carver Deutschland
The Netherlands Carver Nederland
Portugal Carver Portugal
Spain Carver España
Sweden & Norway Carver Sweden
Switzerland Carver Switzerland
United Kingdom Carver UK