Along with the 2008 model-year X-Type, Jaguar also presented the 2008 XK & XKR coupes at the Canary Wharf Motorexpo, in London. Visual enchantments include the replacement of the telescopic Ariel antenna, which is now subtly concealed in the rear boot spoiler, revised door switch packs with a choice of aluminum or wood inserts, enhanced column stalks with chrome rings and the Piano Black veneer surrounding the instrument control panel and the ‘L’ gate surround. Additionally, all versions now include 20-inch double five-spoke Senta alloy wheels, Jaguar Premium Surround Sound, heated front windscreen and bright finish alloy pedals as standard.
Jag’s also extending the availability of certain luxurious options found only on the XKR Portfolio Special Edition (SE) on the XK or XKR. These options include polished five-spoke 20-inch Cremona alloys, a 525 watts Bowers & Wilkins Premium Sound system and Alcon High Performance Braking System. -Full press release and high-res images after the jump
JAGUAR REVEALS ENHANCED XK AND X-TYPE MODEL RANGES AT MOTOREXPO, CANARY WHARF 2007
Today at the Canary Wharf Motorexpo, Jaguar revealed a series of enhancements on both the XK and the X-TYPE range for 2008 Model Year.
JAGUAR XK RANGE: UNRIVALLED LUXURY AND PERFORMANCE
The Jaguar XK and XKR have both been strengthened further with a range of subtle visual enhancements that deliver customers an unrivalled blend of performance and luxury. With XK sales up almost 20% year-to-date versus 2006, the revisions will build on this strong sales performance when the car goes on sale from July.
The XK epitomises the Jaguar tradition of beautiful, powerful, ground-breaking sports cars, but behind its stunning looks, it bristles with practical, intuitive, modern technology, clearly focussed on enhancing the driving experience.
When the XK was unveiled in the autumn of 2005 and introduced in March 2006, it pushed back the boundaries of GT sports car motoring. The launch of the supercharged XKR at the end of 2006 extended those boundaries even further. The most potent of all Jaguar’s beautiful, fast cars effortlessly straddles the gap between out-and-out performance supercars that struggle to cope with everyday use and more sedate grand tourers that are hampered by excess weight.
Geoff Cousins, UK Managing Director at Jaguar said: “Demand for XK and XKR has remained very strong since the car was launched in the UK last year. The XK has already proven its credentials by winning various awards in the UK since its launch, including the coveted ‘Car of the Year Award’ from both Top Gear magazine and Auto Express magazine during 2006. With these specification enhancements, our customers can now benefit from a better equipped XK and an even stronger value-for-money proposition.”
Enhancements on XK for 2008 Model Year are visual only. One of the more significant changes is the replacement of the telescopic Ariel antenna, which is now subtly concealed in the rear boot spoiler. Other notable improvements adding to the overall quality of the interior are the revised door switch packs with a choice of aluminium or wood inserts, enhanced column stalks with chrome rings and the Piano Black veneer surrounding the instrument control panel and the ‘L’ gate surround.
These improvements have been achieved on XK without generating a price increase. The XK is priced at £60,097 for the coupe and £66,097 for the convertible.
The Jaguar XKR is an impressive sporting GT all-rounder in its class featuring a 4.2-litre, supercharged V8 engine developing 420bhp and 560Nm of torque. Due to the high offtake of specific features on the XKR since it went on sale in the UK, customers can now benefit from an even better value-for-money proposition with additional features standard on both the coupe and convertible.
All models now include 20-inch double five-spoke Senta alloy wheels, Jaguar Premium Surround Sound, heated front windscreen and bright finish alloy pedals as standard.
The revised price of the XKR coupe is now £70,097 while the convertible is now £76,097.
“Made for Me” – XKR Portfolio bespoke options on XK and XKR
Jaguar customers can now personalise their XK or XKR by adding luxurious options found only on the XKR Portfolio Special Edition (SE).
The Jaguar XKR Portfolio Special Edition – the flagship of the XK range – offers even greater technology and luxury to customers seeking the ultimate sports coupe.
For the first time, the following enhancements featured on the Portfolio (SE) edition are available on the XK and XKR, allowing customers to increase the individuality of their vehicles: Polished five-spoke 20-inch Cremona alloy wheels (available to order from September 2007); luxury sport interior theme with contrast stitching; alloy ‘L-Gate’ surround and gear-knob (with Piano Black insert), Bowers & Wilkins Premium Sound system at 525 watts and Alcon High Performance Braking System.
Standard on the XKR Portfolio (SE) are five-spoke 20-inch polished Cremona alloy wheels, polished aluminium side vents and Celestial Black paint. The interior furthers the luxurious look and feel of the XKR Portfolio. A new Engine-Spun aluminium veneer is standard along with a new alloy and leather gearshift selector, soft-grab door handles, contrast stitching throughout the cabin and soft grain leather with warm charcoal or ivory seats .
The XKR Portfolio also features a new high-performance braking system with 400mm front discs and 350mm rear discs – the largest ever fitted to a production Jaguar.
The XKR Portfolio demonstrates another first for Jaguar as it is the first production example of a new partnership with renowned audio entertainment specialists Bowers & Wilkins. This world-leading loudspeaker manufacturer worked alongside Jaguar to create a stunning speaker system for the recent C-XF concept car, but the XKR Portfolio is the first production Jaguar to benefit from the relationship.
The 4.2-litre supercharged sports coupe will be sold worldwide while just 60 units will be sold in the UK for £75,597, a premium of just £5,500 over the 2008 Model Year XKR coupe.
The XKR Portfolio Special Edition is available to order now with deliveries expected in late summer.
- XK Coupe £60,097
- XK Convertible £66,097
- XKR Coupe £70,097
- XKR Convertible £76,097
- XKR Portfolio Special Edition £75,597
Jaguar XK key points
- All-new Coupe and Convertible Jaguar XK, each designed as a 2+2 sports car
- First of a new generation of beautiful, fast Jaguars
- The most technologically advanced Jaguar ever
- Succeeds the Jaguar XK range introduced in 1996
- All-aluminium construction assists best-in-class torsional rigidity in Coupe form. In Convertible form, there is a 50 percent improvement in stiffness over the previous XK Convertible
- All-new XK is lighter than its predecessor and key rivals, with Coupe at 1595kg kerb weight and Convertible at 1635kg
- In Convertible form the body-in-white weight, at just 287kg, is 20 percent lighter than the previous XK Convertible
- Lightweight body offers a 10 percent improvement in power to weight ratio
- Delivers a balance of superb performance, driving dynamics and Jaguar sophistication
- Intuitive controls and driver-focussed technologies – such as Keyless Entry, Keyless Start and Active Front Lighting – enhance driver enjoyment
- Spacious, elegant sports car cabin exemplifies Jaguar craftsmanship, luxury and quality
- Launched with latest generation naturally aspirated 4.2 litre Jaguar AJ-V8 engine, developing 300bhp (224kW) SAE / 298PS (219kW) EEC
- AJ-V8 engine developed to satisfy Euro 4 emissions requirements and features exhaust gas recirculation
- New Jaguar Sequential Shift 6-speed automatic transmission system incorporates steering wheel-mounted paddles for manual gear changes
- XK Coupe reaches 60mph from standstill in 5.9 seconds and completes quarter mile sprint in 14.4 seconds – less than half a second off the pace of the previous 400bhp supercharged model
- XK Convertible takes just 6.0 seconds to reach 60mph – 0.3 seconds quicker than the previous model
- XK Coupe accelerates from 50-70mph in just 3.1 seconds – 0.2 seconds quicker than the previous model (Convertible XK also 0.2 seconds quicker from 50-70mph at 3.2 seconds).
- Top speed of 155mph (electronically limited)
- Convertible roof operates electrically in less than 18 seconds to be stowed below lightweight aluminium tonneau cover
- In the event of a pedestrian impact, pyrotechnic deployable bonnet (Jaguar Pedestrian Contact Sensing) automatically deploys in the blink of an eye to create a cushioning effect between the bonnet and the engine
Jaguar XKR Key points
- New supercharged Jaguar XKR sports car, available as a Coupe or Convertible
- All the attractions and attributes of the XK – but amplified in the ‘R’ to complement the extra power and performance
- 4.2-litre, supercharged V8 engine developing 420bhp and 560Nm of torque
- Coupe is capable of 0-60mph in 4.9 seconds, 50-70mph in just 2.5 seconds and has an (electronically limited) top speed of 155mph
- All-aluminium body construction delivers a lighter, stiffer car, with excellent agility. At 1665kg, the Coupe is 70kg lighter than its predecessor, while the 1715kg Convertible is 100kg lighter than the previous convertible XKR
- Uprated springs and dampers and recalibrated Computer Active Technology Suspension (CATS) provide enhanced ride and handling
- Class-leading six-speed automatic transmission for ultra-quick manual gear shifts in milliseconds using steering-wheel-mounted ‘paddles’
- Active Exhaust System ensures refinement at cruising speed but purposeful V8 roar under hard acceleration
- Subtle XKR exterior styling enhancements include a sportier grille and front bumper design, louvred bonnet and aluminium-finish side power vents and 20-inch wheel.
- Enhanced interior includes unique aluminium ‘weave’ design on the fascia (other veneers such as polished burr walnut are available at no extra cost) and XKR sports seats
- Blend of supercharged performance, outstanding dynamic abilities and keen pricing gives the new XKR significant advantages overall against both lesser – and considerably more – expensive rivals