After seven years in production with over 200,000 units sold, it’s the end of the road for the FJ Cruiser, which has seen its annual sales drop from more than 56,000 in 2006 to around 13,000 in 2012. As a final farewell, Toyota released a commemorative special edition for the 2014MY, which will be the last for the FJ Cruiser, at the SEMA show.
Named the 2014 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Ultimate Edition, it is described by Toyota as “the toughest and most capable FJ ever”. Only 2,500 units will be built at an as of yet, undisclosed price, with sales to start in February next year.
Like the original and iconic Land Cruiser FJ40 of the 1960’s that inspired its design, the special edition sports a newly developed “Heritage Blue” paint combined with a unique white front grille surround.
Made for rugged off-roading, the Ultimate Edition comes with a Toyota Racing Development (TRD) off-road suspension that includes Bilstein race shocks with increased damping, articulation and high speed stability. Up front, there are 66mm front shock assemblies with new TRD race coil springs, while at the back, you’ll find 50mm shocks equipped with remote reservoirs to decrease damping fade.
Also included in the package are a new front skid plate made from one-quarter-inch thick aluminum, TRD 16-inch bead lock wheels with BF Goodrich A/T KO tires, rock rails and roof rack.
Offered exclusively in 4×4, the Ultimate edition comes standard with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Crawl Control (CRAWL available with automatic transmission only), Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) with off switch and electronically controlled locking rear differential.
[FROM TOYOTA PR]
FJ CRUISER ULTIMATE EDITION TRAIL TEAMS KEY FEATURES Performance and Exterior Features
- Unique white front grille surround and exclusive Monotone “Heritage Blue” paint
- Blacked out bumpers, exterior mirrors and door handles
- All-new TRD heavy duty one-quarter-inch thick aluminum front skid plate
- Sew Specially-developed off-road tuned TRD Bilstein front suspension and rear Bilstein shocks with remote reservoir
- Exterior FJ Trail Teams Badge
- Roof rack
- Rock rails
- TRD 16-inch Gunmetal bead lock wheels with BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires
- Rear wiper
Interior Convenience Features
- Stainless steel FJ Cruiser Ultimate Edition dash plaque
- Power outside mirrors with illuminated markers
- Privacy glass on rear side, quarter and rear door windows
- Cruise Control
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel
- Floating-ball Multi-information Display with inclinometer, Compass and outside temperature
- Remote keyless entry system
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera display
- One 115V/400W AC power outlet