The BBC confirmed Wednesday Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson will not have his contract renewed, following a suspension earlier this month that resulted in the popular car show going on hiatus.
Reports Tuesday evening from The Telegraph indicated head of the BBC Tony Hall would fire Clarkson today after the conclusion of the investigation prompted by the longtime host’s actions March 4 where he was said to have tried to punch a producer.
Top Gear has been on hiatus since March 10, when the BBC put Clarkson on leave. But even Wednesday morning, Jeremy Clarkson tweeted he hadn’t heard he’d been dismissed yet.
Oisin Tymon, the producer at the center of the Clarkson controversy, said in a statement he supported the decision by Hall and wanted to get back to work on a program he loved.
Over that time Jeremy and I had a positive and successful working relationship, making some landmark projects together. He is a unique talent and I am well aware that many will be sorry his involvement in the show should end in this way.
The official statement from the Director General of the BBC:
It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.
I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4th March. Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.
I want to make three points.
First – The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect. I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.
Second – This has obviously been difficult for everyone involved but in particular for Oisin. I want to make clear that no blame attaches to him for this incident. He has behaved with huge integrity throughout. As a senior producer at the BBC he will continue to have an important role within the organisation in the future.
Third – Obviously none of us wanted to find ourselves in this position. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear. Jeremy is a huge talent. He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come.
The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series.
Just to keep everyone up to date, I haven’t heard a thing.
— Jeremy Clarkson (@JeremyClarkson) March 25, 2015
Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon praises "swift" BBC investigation into Jeremy Clarkson, and calls the presenter "a unique talent". (1/2)— BBC Ents News Team (@BBCNewsEnts) March 25, 2015
Oisin Tymon: "He [Clarkson] is a unique talent & I am aware that many will be sorry his involvement in the show should end in this way."— BBC Ents News Team (@BBCNewsEnts) March 25, 2015