Giorgetto Giugiaro Quits His Company, Audi Buys Remaining Stake

One of the most famous designers in the automotive industry, Giorgetto Giugiaro sold his remaining stake of the Italdesign Giugiaro SpA to Audi and resigned from the company’s board.

In 2010 Giorgetto Giugiaro had sold a 90.1 per cent stake to Audi, keeping the rest 9.9 per cent for him and his son, Fabrizio until last Sunday, June 28 when the German company acquired their remaining piece as well. Giorgetto and Fabrizio Giugiaro also resigned from the company’s board last Monday.

Italdesign Giugiaro announced that Giorgetto Giugiaro quits in order “to dedicate more time to his personal interests” and that the company won’t be influenced by the change in command. The same statement said that Italdesign Giugiaro will hire an extra 250 employees by the end of the year.

The legendary designer is responsible for many successful models like the original VW Golf, Fiat Punto, Audi 80, Fiat Panda as well as the Alfa Romeo Brera, Lotus Esprit and Maserati Bora among others. Giorgetto Giugiaro started his career at Fiat when he was 17 years old and he designed about 100 production cars.