Infiniti has laid down details on their 2016MY lineup that will see new additions, several updates and one departure.
The only model going away is the 2015MY Q40 that was offered parallel to its successor, the Q50 sedan, as the firm’s entry-level (priced) model, with its place in Infiniti’s lineup to be taken by the all-new Q30 premium compact hatchback that will enjoy its world premiere at next month’s Frankfurt Motor Show.
Infiniti said that U.S. sales of the Q30 are scheduled to begin in late spring or early summer 2016.
Another all-new model coming to Infiniti showrooms next year is the Q60 Coupe that was previewed by a concept bearing the same name at the Detroit Auto Show this past January. The study also gave us a first look at Infiniti’s upcoming 3.0-liter V6 engine with direct injection and twin-turbocharging that will be offered on the coupe, if not at launch, within the following year.
Since the Q60 is based on the Q50 sedan, then it’s almost certain that it will also be available with Infiniti’s new 2.0-liter turbocharged four that has been announced for the 2016MY Q50.
The Japanese brand said it would provide details on the Q50 2.0L Turbo later in the year ahead of the car’s U.S. market launch this winter, but we suspect that it’s the same Mercedes-Benz-sourced 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline inline-four with 211hp (214PS) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque that powers the European model.
In EU-trim, the Q50 2.0 Turbo gets a standard 7-speed automatic driving the rear wheels. If the American model keeps the same numbers, it will trail the rivaling 240hp BMW 328i, 241hp Mercedes-Benz C300 and the just added 241hp Lexus IS, all of which get 2.0-liter force-fed fours.
Infiniti said that it would announce further enhancements to the Q50 sedan at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show in January where it will also reveal the updated QX60 crossover that will go on sale in spring of the same year.
Elsewhere in the range, in September this year, Infiniti will begin sales of the revised QX50 with refreshed looks, and more importantly, a 3.2-inch longer wheelbase, while in October, we’ll see the 2016MY QX80 large SUV with a new Signature Edition, and in November, the 2016MY Q70 sedan that gains a new Premium Select Edition.
[From Infiniti] Key changes to the 2016 Infiniti lineup include, but are not limited to, the following:
Production of the Q40 ceased in 2015. The Q30 premium compact will be the new entry-level model for the Infiniti brand when it arrives in showrooms in late spring/early summer 2016.
2016 Infiniti Q50
- Enhanced powertrain and model offerings, including a new 2.0-liter turbo 4-cylinder engine
- Additional details to be announced later in 2015
- Expected availability: Winter
There will be no 2016 Q60. The 2017 Q60 – based on the Q60 Concept shown in early 2015 – will be available in late-summer/early fall 2016.
2016 Infiniti Q70
- New Premium Select Edition available on standard wheelbase models (except Hybrid)
- Offered in five Q70 models: Q70 5.6, Q70 5.6 AWD, Q70 Hybrid, Q70 3.7, Q70 3.7 AWD
- Offered in four Q70L Long- Wheelbase models: Q70L 5.6, Q70L 5.6 AWD, Q70L 3.7 and Q70L 3.7 AWD
- Expected availability: November 2015
2016 Infiniti QX50
- Standard wheelbase extended by 3.2 inches, resulting in significantly increased rear seat roominess – including 4.3 inches of additional legroom and 3.9 inches of added rear knee room
- Overall, passenger volume has been increased by 8.3 cubic feet, including an additional 2.7 cubic feet of cargo capacity
- Revised exterior with new LED Daytime Running Lights and LED fog lights, a new side sill design, a new rear fascia and LED side mirror turn signals
- New 19-inch wheel design
- New Premium Plus option package added, featuring Infiniti Navigation System, Around View® Monitor (AVM), Streaming audio via Bluetooth®, and Front and Rear Sonar System
- Power moonroof now standard on all models
- Heated front seats now standard on all models
- One new exterior color added (seven total): Hagane Blue
- Offered in two models: QX50 and QX50 AWD
- Expected availability: September 2015
2016 Infiniti QX60
- Details of the 2016 QX60 will be announced at the North American International Auto Show in January 2016
- Expected availability: Spring 2016
2016 Infiniti QX70
- No major enhancements for new model year
- Available now
2016 Infiniti QX80
- New QX80 Signature Edition – includes Driver Assistance and Split Bench packages, Saddle Tan high-contrast interior, bodyside moldings, chrome mirror caps; limited to 1,000 units (late availability)
- One new exterior color for QX80 Limited: Hermosa Blue (replaces Liquid Platinum)
- Offered in three models: QX80, QX80 AWD and QX80 AWD Limited
- Expected availability: October 2015