Mercedes-AMG Could Expand G-Wagen Lineup With G63 S, Maybach Variants

The new G63 was unveiled last month, but the automaker is already looking forward to coming out with even more powerful and opulent versions of the SUV.

The all-new model is powered by a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 that produces 577 HP (585 PS) and 627 lb-ft (850 Nm) of torque. While that should be enough for the majority of drivers, the brand is already looking into something a little more potent. Auto Express spoke with product chief Dr. Gunnar Guthenke, who suggested the new platform would be able to accommodate for a faster, more performance-oriented “S” variant.

“Previously, you’d never have had the steering and dynamics for an S,” he said. “I am so excited about future modifications.”

If true, we expect the G63 S to follow the same formula as Mercedes-AMG’s other S-branded vehicles like the C63 S and E63 S, with a bump in output and a few extra goodies.

A G63 S isn’t the only variant Mercedes is looking to add to the G-Wagen lineup; a Maybach could very well be on the cards. “We have had Maybach with Landaulet,” he said. “We want to nurture this tradition.”

It wouldn’t be the first time the automaker offered a Maybach variant of the G-Wagen, as the Mercedes-Maybach G650 Landaulet was launched out towards the end of the previous generation’s lifespan. The half 4×4, half convertible was a lesson in how luxurious and potent a SUV could be.

While the G650 Landaulet always looked out of place, a toned-down version without the convertible top and raised suspension would fit right in with today’s high-performance SUVs.

more photos...
  • Maybach is almost certain, last G-Class Maybach was sold and received well.

  • PK

    nice! love the new look of the g class! keep it up mercedes! keep expanding the model!!!! <3

  • ZYGIUS

    G-L is most needed lineup extension for now

  • SteersUright

    From a cool, quirky and serious off-roader to this douschebaggy, blingy, contraption, this new G-wagen looks as poseur-ish as the people who will be driving it.

    • Matt

      Man you hate everything don’t you?

      • SteersUright

        90% of everything including dumb comments. Makes that remaining 10% oh so glorious.

Lamborghini Huracan Evo Does The Quarter Mile… Faster Than You’d Think

The latest iteration of the baby Lambo is powered by a screaming 5.2-liter V10 with 631 HP – and boy does it go…

Never Get Lost In Nature Again With The Ranger Raptor’s Clever Sat-Nav

Compared by Ford themselves to breadcrumbs, the system places a virtual pin on the map every second.

Lamborghini Aventador S Art Car Salutes Monterey Car Week Attendees

This Lambo was treated as a canvas by 19-year old American street artist Skyler Grey .

Rivian R1S Buyers Will Be Able To Choose Between Three Roof Configurations

One of the options available on Rivian’s upcoming SUV will be a two-piece, removable composite roof .

2020 Porsche 911 GT3 Touring Pounds The Tarmac On The Nordschleife

As with the 991.2-based model, the new GT3 Touring Package will be a 911 purist’s wet dream.

Original McQueen-Driven Mustang Bullitt To Be Auctioned In 2020

The current owner of what is probably the most famous Mustang ever inherited the car from his father.

Driven: 2019 Hyundai Kona Elite Is A Crossover You Might Actually Want

Behind its cute looks, the Kona is a crossover with lots of appealing features that won’t break the bank.

Drako GTE Is A 1200 HP Electric Hyper Sedan That Promises Supercar-Like Handling

Loosely based on the old Fisker Karma, it’s got a massive output, impressive tech and costs $1.25 million.

2019 BMW 330i Fights The Clock At The Hockenheim GP Track

For a four-pot-powered sports sedan, the new generation 330i performed remarkably well on the circuit.

Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S: A Sexy Super Saloon For Those Who Want It All

The GT 63 S four-door combines aggressive looks, room for four and extreme performance, so if you can afford it…