Elon Musk has apologized to the British cave diver he labeled “pedo guy” after the Thailand cave rescue.
Shortly after British driver Vern Unsworth said Musk built his mini-submarine as a “PR stunt,” the tech entrepreneur took to Twitter to hit out at Unsworth’s claims that the sub was useful for the cave rescue, referring to him as “pedo guy.”
In response to an article detailing Musk’s involvement in the cave drama, the Tesla chief apologized to Unsworth and the companies he represents.
“My words were spoken in anger after Mr. Unsworth said several untruths & suggested I engage in a sexual act with the mini-sub, which had been built as an act of kindness & according to specifications from the dive team leader.
“Nonetheless, his actions against me do not justify my actions against him, and for that I apologize to Mr. Unsworth and to the companies I represent as leader. The fault is mine and mine alone.”
Speaking to Australia’s 7 News Sydney shortly after being labelled “pedo guy,” Unsworth said he was considering legal action against the billionaire.
Musk was initially angered by assertions made by Unsworth about the mini-submarine.
“It just had absolutely no chance of working. He had no conception of what the cave passage was like. The submarine, I believe, was about five-foot-six long, rigid, so it wouldn’t have gone round corners or round any obstacles,” Unsworth said.
Musk then challenged Unsworth to release video of the rescue to prove just how difficult the cave was to maneuver in. He then claimed that he would create a video showing how the mini-submarine could have reached the stranded soccer players without difficulty. “Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it,” he said.
Nonetheless, his actions against me do not justify my actions against him, and for that I apologize to Mr. Unsworth and to the companies I represent as leader. The fault is mine and mine alone.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 18, 2018