NADA Anticipates 16.8 Million New Cars And Trucks Will Be Sold This Year

As a representative of franchised U.S. new-car dealerships, NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) is in a privileged position to make realistic predictions when it comes to vehicle sales.

Their latest forecast sees no fewer than 16.8 million new cars and light trucks reaching customers this year, following the 17.3 million units sold in 2018, which ended up being the fourth best sales year in U.S. history.

“We expect the sales momentum to continue this year,” stated Patrick Manzi, NADA senior economist. “The 2019 auto show season kicks off in Detroit. Dozens of new vehicles, with auto show rebates and incentives, will soon arrive in dealer showrooms across the country that will appeal to consumers and spark auto sales during the first quarter.”

In 2018, buyers have continued to abandon traditional car segments, with light trucks accounting for 69% of all sales, while regular passenger cars put up the remaining 31%. In 2017, the ratio stood at 65% in favor of light trucks, while 10 years ago, it was only 48% light trucks and 52% regular cars.

“One of the main factors for this shift has been continued low oil and gasoline prices and the fact that crossover utility vehicles are nearly as fuel efficient as their sedan counterparts. And we’ve seen fuel economy increase across the board, not just on crossovers but also traditional SUVs and pickups,” concluded Manzi.

He also said that while he expects gasoline prices to go up this year, the increase won’t be significant enough so as to cause panic and make consumers favor cars more than trucks again.

more photos...
  • charlotteharry57

    They need new economic forecasters.

Huracan Performante And 911 GT2 RS Get A Bit Too Close While ‘Ring Racing

The driver of this Huracan stuck precariously close to the 911’s tail while going all out at the Nordschleife .

Hennessey’s 1000 HP Corvette ZR1 Ain’t Afraid Of No C8 Hybrid

Hennessey’s Corvette ZR1 pumped out 905 hp at the rear wheels during dyno testing.

Aurus’ Convertible Looks Like A Russian Take On The Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe

Large, elegant and all-wheel drive, the Aurus convertible would make for an interesting competitor to the Rolls-Royce Dawn .

Uber Introduces New Safety Features After Student’s Murder In March

Uber’s app reminds users to confirm the driver’s identity and match the car’s license plate before taking a ride.

Elon Musk Says His Twitter “Is Pretty Much Complete Nonsense”

Musk decided to randomly start tweeting about sheep last week. Yep, we don’t get it either.

Toyota And Kenworth Unveil New Fuel Cell Semi With 300+ Mile Range

Move over Mirai, Toyota’s latest fuel cell vehicle is a Class 8 semi that was jointly developed with Kenworth.

All-New Land Rover Defender Launching In September, Deliveries Start In Early 2020

Land Rover hasn’t decided whether it will launch the new Defender in Frankfurt or at a standalone event.

Woman Takes Truck In For Service, Sees It At Store And Decides To ‘Steal’ It Back

Following a viral Facebook post, the dealership fired the employee responsible for using the truck to run errands.

Audi Rumored To Be Working On High-Performance E-Tron GTR, Could Replace The R8

The rumored Audi e-tron GTR sounds a lot like last year’s PB18 e-tron concept.

2020 Dodge Charger Widebody Spied Undisguised During Promo Shoot

Recently previewed by a concept, the Charger Widebody is expected to be offered with two different V8 engines.