A Hyundai Kona Electric has exploded while parked in a garage in Montreal, Canada.
CBC News reports that on Friday last week, a major explosion ripped through the garage of Hyundai Kona Electric owner Piero Cosentino. Images of the scene show that the explosion was significant enough to send the garage door flying across the street and blow a huge hole through the roof.
Montreal firefighters were called to the scene at approximately 1 p.m. and quickly put out the subsequent fire. Authorities say that no one was injured.
According to Cosentino, he saw dark clouds of smoke coming from his garage on Friday afternoon and immediately turned off the breaker.
“If we were in front of the garage door, we could have been in the hospital,” he said.
Cosentino says that the Kona Electric wasn’t charging or even plugged in at the time of the explosion. Louise Desrosiers from the Montreal Fire Service added that there didn’t seem to be any other factors inside the garage which could have caused the explosion.
“It was a fully electric vehicle, and there was nothing around that could have caused the explosion,” Desrosiers said. “We will be following up […] closely with the owner to understand the problem in anticipation of other cases.”
Crews had to demolish the garage after determining that it was unstable. The causes of the explosion and fire are yet to be determined, though this is definitely not the first time we see an electric car self-combust while sitting idle.
This news is big setback , i wanted my next car to be EV but this dents confidence, still not a thoroughly tested technology ??? #HyundaiKona Electric #SUV Suddenly Explodes Causing Big Damage.https://t.co/JE8TS5J2Fe
— Gaurav Pandey गौरव (@thegav123) July 29, 2019
Electric car catches fire and explodes in Île-Bizard garage | CBC News https://t.co/8RwRjuXW1U
— Glenn Hebert (@GlennHebert2017) July 27, 2019