Take A Look Underneath The Le Mans-Winning Porsche 919 Hybrid

On the back of its recent win at the Le Mans 24 Hours, Porsche has released details about how the 919’s advanced hybrid powertrain works.

As we know, the traditional part of the powerplant consists of an advanced V4 engine. Helping to send the racer to almost-unbeatable speeds are then an 800 volt electric system, a large lithium-ion battery and a powerful electric motor generator powering the front wheels.

The V4 alone pumps out a rather ridiculous 500 hp while the electric motor adds an extra 400 hp to that figure. As with other cars in the LMP1 series, the motor generator at the front axle converts the car’s kinetic energy captured by the battery and converts it into electrical energy. A total of 60 per cent of the recovered kinetic energy comes from braking while the remaining 40 per cent is captured via hot exhaust gases from one of the two exhaust pipes.

All of this energy is held in the mid-mounted lithium-ion battery and can be utilized with the simple press of a button in the car’s complex cockpit. On each lap of Circuit de la Sarthe used during Le Mans, the electrical system captures 2.22 kilowatt hours of energy, the equivalent of eight megajoules, the maximum permitted by the regulations. In 2015, Porsche was the only entrant operating in the eight megajoules class. For 2016, Toyota joined it while Audi‘s system continues to capture, on average, six megajoules of power per lap at Le Mans.

Last year, Porsche captured the Driver’s championship with Mark Webber, Brendon Hartley and Timo Bernhard. In 2016, the German firm is again leading the championship this time with the team of Marc Lieb, Neel Jani and Romain Dumas.

PHOTO GALLERY

McLaren 720S Skips Traffic In Australia, Gets Instant Karma From Undercover Cop

The driver of this McLaren 720S got a rude surprise from an undercover VW Passat police car.

2020 Nissan Pathfinder On Sale With $31,680 Base MSRP

The 2020 Nissan Pathfinder is offered in both 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive configurations.

Wiesmann Confirms BMW M’s Twin-Turbo V8 For New “Project Gecko”

The new Wiesmann sports car will ride on an all-new lightweight platform powered by the BMW M5’s engine.

Skoda Kamiq Launches In Great Britain With A £17,700 Price Tag

Skoda is launching the new Kamiq in the United Kingdom, with first deliveries to start in November.

Tesla Model S Prototype Allegedly Demolishes Porsche Taycan’s ‘Ring Lap Record

The fastest lap timed manually by a witness was 7m23s, making the Model S prototype 20 seconds quicker than the Taycan.

Ford Could Build More Than One MEB-Based EV In Europe

Ford is interested in building multiple electric vehicles based on the VW Group’s electric vehicle platform.

Audi’s Deadline For Removing All Illegal Diesel Software Is This Month

Audi will face penalties if it fails to remove illegal software from diesel cars by September 26.

2020 DS 8 Flagship Starts Testing In Europe Ahead Of Launch Next Year

The EMP2-based DS 8 will be built in China and will first launch there before possibly arriving in Europe.

BMW Wants To Kill Off i3 EV Hatch In Favor Of Other Models

BMW’s focus going forward will reportedly be on PHEV derivatives of current models as well as all-electric new models.

Honda Wants To Sell At Least 10,000 e EVs Annually In Europe

A successful Honda e will allow the carmaker to achieve the EU’s fleet average of 95 g/km CO2 and avoid paying costly fines over emission targets.