Honda And Hitachi Finalize Agreement To Develop EVs

Honda and Hitachi have signed an agreement to create a joint venture focused on developing electric vehicles.

The 5 billion yen ($44 million) joint venture, dubbed Hitachi Automotive Electric Motor Systems, will focus on building electric motors for battery-electric cars, petrol-electric hybrids and plug-in hybrids, Automotive News reports.

The venture was first revealed in February and aims to combine the expertise of the two companies in an effort to meet the rapidly-expanding industry demand for electric motors.

Discussing the joint venture with members of the media, Honda chief executive Takahiro Hachigo said “Producing motors is capital intensive, so rather than just manufacturing them for our own purposes, we would like to produce in large volumes with the possibility of supplying a variety of customers.”

Hitachi will own a 51 per cent stake in the joint venture and Honda will control the remaining 49 per cent.

PHOTO GALLERY

Is $65,000 Crazy Money For A 2019 Ram 1500 Truck?

The Ram 1500 Limited is the nameplate’s flagship version, costing as much as a base-spec Porsche Cayenne.

Trade Secrets From GM, Toyota, Tesla, More Exposed After Data Breach

Anyone with an internet connection and some knowledge could access sensitive information.

Bugatti Recalls Two Chirons, Will Fly The Seats To France To Fix The Airbags

Bugatti goes to great lengths to ensure it takes good care of its vaunted customers, .

Ken Block’s Ford Escort RS Cosworth Destroyed By Fire After Rally Crash

Ken Block’s Ford Escort is no more, but thankfully both he and his co-driver got out without any injuries.

New BMW X5 Makes Dynamic Video Debut In Official Launch Film

The fourth-gen X5 is more mature and versatile than ever and is priced closely to its predecessor .

Dark Blue 2019 Aston Martin Vantage Cuts A Dash On The Streets Of Montreal

It might not look as elegant as its predecessor, but it sure is a lot more aggressive .

Opel Mokka X: Good All-Rounder Or Getting On A Bit?

The Mokka X may be marketed as a compact crossover, but it’s very close in size to the subcompact Crossland X.

Peugeot Reportedly Planning 300 PS 508 Plug-In Hybrid For 2019

The PHEV family car will be all-wheel drive and its tech could be applied to other Peugeot models, too.

Aston Martin’s DBX SUV To Be Built On A Completely New Platform

It will also use active anti-roll bars and triple-volume air springs to ensure sporty handling.

New Dacia Duster: Does It Still Offer The Best Bang For Your Buck?

Is the new Duster still a clever choice, or should you spend your money elsewhere?.