The rare 290 MM was the fourth and final example ever built and made its racing debut at the 1956 Mille Miglia in 860 Monza specification. In this guise, it was powered by a 3.5-liter four-cylinder engine.
With Peter Collins and Louis Klemantaski behind the wheel, the racer finished 2nd overall. The car’s successful maiden year of racing continued when it finished 4th at the Targa Florio in Sicily and claiming 2nd place at the XVIII Aosta-Gran San Bernardo Hillclimb in Italy.
After its first year of racing, the vehicle was upgraded to its current 290 MM specification. This saw a 3.5-liter V12 slot into the engine bay. With its new powertrain, the car continued to have successful outings at racing events around the world, including the 1000 km Buenos Aires race, the 12 Hours of Sebring, and the 1957 Bahamas Speed Weeks. With Sir Stirling Moss in the driver’s seat, the car claimed victory at both the Memorial Race and Nassau Trophy Race in the Bahamas.
Following its outing at Sebring in 1957, it was retired as an official Scuderia race car and sold privately but continued to make appearances at racing events. It was even displayed at the Chicago Auto Show in January 1958 and secured a 1st in class win at Watkins Glen the same year.
Numerous individuals have owned the car in the decades since, and in 2011 it was fully restored by Ferrari Classiche. Four years later, the car was shown at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance and in 2016 and 2017 was displayed at both the Ferrari museums in Maranello and Modena.
A similar 290 MM, also driven by Juan Manuel Fangio, sold for $28 million at a 2015 auction.