Opel Returns To Russia Thanks To Market Rebound, May Build Cars There

Opel has confirmed that it will return to the Russian market now that it’s under the control of PSA Group.

General Motors pulled Opel out of Russia in 2015 due to a depreciation in the ruble which crippled the country’s local car market. However, the market has since recovered and the German automaker has decided to return.

Speaking with Autonews, Opel chief executive Michael Lohscheller said the car manufacturer may even start assembling some of its vehicles at PSA’s plant in Kaluga, south of Moscow.

“Local production is one of the priorities and the main tool of a successful automotive business in Russia. Taking this into account, we are considering the possibility of expanding the model range in Kaluga and do not rule out assembling Opel cars there.”

PSA chief executive Carlos Tavares views Russia as a way for Opel to increase its footprint in Eurasia. He also thinks the company has an opportunity to replicate its recent success in Ukraine.

“We will continue to invest in LCVs in the Eurasia region and make a double-digit profit and triple volumes in 2021 against 2018. The success story of Eurasia is Ukraine where we have achieved a market share of 6 percent but more work needs to be done in Russia both in terms of product and network capability and management,” Tavares said.

The Kaluga plant is co-owned by PSA and Mitsubishi. The PSA Group has a 70 per cent stake, while Mitsubishi owns the remaining 30 per cent. In 2018, the facility built 38,108 Peugeot, Citroen, and Mitsubishi vehicles, while its maximum capacity is 125,000 vehicles per year.

more photos...
  • Christian

    Shows a picture of a Vauxhall…

  • ZYGIUS

    In Russia all brands have just a names, with a local build quality of Lada

    • Igor G-Shell

      That’s so true!

  • designer_dick

    Opel/Vauxhall’s range is a real mish mash of blandly handsome cars like the Insignia, Grandland X and Corsa, coupled with cars that have odd proportions, unfinished styling or both. The Astra’s styling is a bit of a dog’s dinner, and the Crossland X has a bonnet short enough to make it look like a minivan.

    • Jp

      Considering Opel’s recent history, it makes sense that there are remnants of troubled models like the Corsa. I think we should give them 5 years to see where they are headed.

  • WELL AT LEAST WE WONT BE GETTING ANY RUSSIAN MADE BUICK’S.

Man Tries To Steal BMW, Owner Jumps In, Makes Him Crash And Flee On Foot

The owner had left her dog inside the car and was determined to not let anything happen to her.

Driven: 2019 Kia Rio Does What It Says On The Tin

Engine refinement and light steering aside, the Rio is an extremely competent, and affordable, supermini.

Ford Mustang Bullitt Goes For A (Legal) High-Speed Run On The Autobahn

The reincarnation of the iconic ‘Stang was so successful, Ford announced it will extend its production run.

Porsche Taycan Demonstrates Its Speed At NYC Formula E Course

The Taycan made its third and final stop in the company’s Triple Demo Run at the Big Apple.

Mario Andretti’s Lamborghini Countach Is A $500k Piece Of Automotive Royalty

Lamborghini only ever built 321 examples of the Countach 5000 S, and this one had a very special owner.

Toyota Kicks Off New Ad Campaign As 2020 GR Supra Arrives At Dealers Later This Month

After a 21 year absence, the Toyota Supra will return to dealerships soon.

Ranger Danger: Ford Reportedly Working On A Bronco Pickup To Battle Jeep Gladiator

The hardcore pickup is expected to be based on the next-generation Ranger and could go into production in 2024.

HSV SportsCat Series 2 Sequel Brings Enhanced Styling, Equipment

The Holden Colorado-based off-road truck receives cosmetic changes that make it look more aggressive.

VW Plans To Launch Autonomous Vehicles In The Middle Of The Next Decade

VW believes fully autonomous vehicles will primarily appeal to the fleet operators and the rich.

Audi Celebrates 25 Years Of RS Models, Confirms Two More For 2019

Audi will introduce two new RS models later this year and one is likely the RS Q8.