Tesla is investigating an incident where a Model S unexpectedly burst into flames while being towed to a garage.
KPIX reports that the incident happened in the San Francisco Bay Area shortly after the owner of the Tesla suffered a flat tire and called to have the vehicle towed to a local repair shop.
However, after being towed for between 5 and 10 minutes, smoke started to billow from the electric sedan. Before long, flames had taken a hold of the Tesla and by the time Santa Clara County fire crews arrived on the scene, much of the car had already been destroyed.
“The vehicle started off-gassing, making a loud hissing noise and producing some additional smoke. That’s an indication that there’s some type of combustion process happening in the batteries,” Santa Clara County Fire Captain Bill Murphy said.
Fire officials say that the Tesla wasn’t involved in a collision and wasn’t being worked on at the time of the blaze.
The fire was extinguished shortly after authorities arrived on the scene but NBC Bay Area says the batteries continued to burn long after the larger flames were extinguished. The Tesla was then transported to a tow yard where hours later, it reignited.
“We are currently investigating the matter and are in touch with local first responders. We are glad to hear that everyone is safe,” Tesla said in a statement.