A Tesla Model S owned by director Michael Morris, the husband of actress Mary McCormack, has burst into flames not after a crash, but while driving down the street.
McCormack claims that her spouse was driving the electric sedan on Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles when a fellow motorist flagged him down and said the car was on fire. He quickly pulled over, hoped out, and waited for authorities to arrive on the scene as the Tesla continued to sizzle on the side of the road.
“No accident, out of the blue, in traffic on Santa Monica Blvd. Thank you to the kind couple who flagged him down and told him to pull over. And thank god my three little girls weren’t in the car with him,” she posted on Twitter.
Shortly after police shut down part of the road, fire crews arrived on scene but it’s unclear if the blaze was still on or had been extinguished.
Tesla says it has offered its support to local authorities and is investigating the incident.
A few years ago, Tesla outfitted the Model S with additional underbody protection after a series of cars caught fire when their batteries were punctured by objects on the road. However, it remains to be seen if a possible battery puncture is what caused this fire, or if it was instead triggered by some kind of electrical fault.
The good news is that a. no one was injured, and b. this is not an Autopilot-related issue. The bad news is that it’s another high-profile incident involving a Tesla. Guess Elon Musk won’t be too happy about that.
@Tesla This is what happened to my husband and his car today. No accident,out of the blue, in traffic on Santa Monica Blvd. Thank you to the kind couple who flagged him down and told him to pull over. And thank god my three little girls weren’t in the car with him pic.twitter.com/O4tPs5ftVo
— Mary McCormack (@marycmccormack) June 16, 2018