A man in the U.S. claims that his faulty Samsung Galaxy Note 7 caused his Jeep Grand Cherokee to go up in flames in St Petersburg, Florida.
While speaking with Fox13, Nathan Dornacher said that while at a yard sale, he left his Note 7 to charge in the Jeep’s center console. Shortly after, he looked out of the window to see the SUV ablaze. Although fire crews arrived on the scene and managed to douse the flames, it was too late to save the Jeep, so intense was the fire.
Just last week, Samsung issued a recall for the Note 7 in ten different countries after confirmation of at least 35 Note 7s catching fire or exploding while being charged.
In a statement, the tech giant said that it was working with Dornacher to investigate the incident.
“We are aware of the incident and we are working with Mr. Dornacher to investigate his case and ensure we do everything we can for him. Consumer safety is Samsung’s highest priority. With regard to the Galaxy Note7, we are asking owners to take advantage of the Product Exchange Program announced on Friday of last week.”
Dornacher confirmed on Facebook that the Korean company had been in touch with him and is “being very helpful”:
“Here is a update on everything @Samsung has been in contact with us since last night and is being very helpful. They are sending someone to review everything. We will not gain anything from this for the keyboard invesgator’s out there. Yes we had insurance but very minimum and nothing to cover any of the recent work done no ones fault but our own. We are not and have not asked for anything, we are not getting a lawyer, we will replace in time when we can afford it.
All I want out of this is for everyone to take this recall seriously and if you didn’t know about it please educate yourself before it’s too late I had the phone for 5 days and not having tv or a notification we did not know. We are safe no one was hurt all that matters to me.”
Photos courtesy of Nathan Dornacher @ Facebook